Monday, August 24, 2009

Isabelle's Official

By now some of you may be wondering if Isabelle has officially taken over this household. Typically my answer would be obviously, where have you been? But since I just up and took my recent 6 month hiatus from the blogging world, saying that would be the proverbial pot calling the kettle black at this point. So, I will just start by saying that if Isabelle needed any additional justification for feeling like she truly has done it all and can write you a dissertation upon request.....I'll say this: Today she started kindergarten.

She took the monumental step in her young life by inviting the family to the cafe strategically situated across the street from her elementary school's front door. And so while she watched the sea of other less-than-fortunate students assuming their oppressive positions in a line that would wrap around the block, Isabelle worked her way down through a stack of pancakes at the bar. (Sitting at the bar was her request. She likes the down-home atmosphere I imagine...you know where everyone knows your name? I assumed this because she kept making small talk with the lady behind the counter and laughing at the jokes of the coffee drinking stranger sitting next to her). We chit-chatted about what it would be like as soon as school started and she chuckled as she pointed out the window and noticed that what the other kids were doing didn't look quite so....well, satiating. We discussed glue sticks and recess and Isabelle seemed to believe this new chapter in life would secure the one spot that has always been eluding her: Being the smartest, most capable, and definitely the boss in our family.

I figured I would let her savor the moment (and the fantasy) at least 'till Friday.

1 comment:

Ronna said...

I have one of those. She started 4th grade today. Hard to believe!! I love the moment when the girl stroked Isabelle's hair!