Saturday, December 27, 2008

Santa's Workshop

This year, Michael and I decided we would make all of our Christmas gifts so it was a season filled with Santa's helpers in our home.
The girls and I had plenty of shopping and gathering to do and then we made quilts, salt dough ornaments, our signature Creamy Tomato Soup, aprons and more aprons, we assembled missionary care packages, made cookies, dinners, hair bows, and big, big messes! Michael took shifts holding Liv, doing dishes, entertaining Isabelle, delivering gifts, snow shoveling, doing more dishes, vacuuming...in general, keeping the production possible, smooth, and continual.


Here we are making Big Pop and Uncle Don's Christmas Blankets. So we got the fabric and then set out to find quilting frames. It took some doing to even find old school quilting frames, I called every woman over 50 in our ward to no avail! (FYI: We once had some of our own--but that was so 9 moves ago). Anyway, we finally collected some and then it was production time. Isabelle and I started off by taking a field trip into Michael's closet to study one of her dad's favorite Aunt Susan's flannel blankets. She studied the yarn ties and I studied the meticulous bias edging. We agreed it quite a lofty standard but we would do our bests. She learned to needle up and down the squares, and I helped her tie the square knots. She loved the part when she was out of yarn so she could get the scissors and cut all of her own lines she had made. We had a great time. After the nostalgia of tacking the quilt on the frame....(no wait, now this side needs to be retacked because I have too much blanket and not enough 2x4......now wait, the frame won't fit here, so it is untacking it for the 14th time, now remind me how to thread this yarn in the eye of this needle?).....
I am determined to acquire myself another quilting frame once more. Aunt Susan, you better hold on....there may be a new 4-year-old contender in town!

No comments: